Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have worked 1/2 years Toronto sales company that has been

Customer Question
Hello I have worked for 11...
Hello
I have worked for 11 1/2 years for a Toronto sales company that has been bought out and is now dissolving.All of the fulltime sales staff have been offered contracts with the new company.
I have earned 4 weeks of paid vacation of which remains intact,as I typically use it in the off season(Nov-March).I also earned a sales bonus annually.
My question is........I am creating my Resignation Letter and have a bad feeling that I will not be receiving my bonus or vacation payout from the present company!!!!
Suggestions as to how to ask OR what legally am I entitled to?
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
10/27/2015
Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago
retireddebra

When you say the present company do you mean your former employer or your future employer?

I am still employed with the current employer until Nov 2nd.
Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes. But are you saying you don't think that that your present employer is going to give you the vacation pays for bonus or the new one who is taking over?

I am concerned that my present employer who may file for Bankruptcy will not payout my vacation or my bonus.I am required to file a letter of Resignation by Thursday Nov 29th.
Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago

First, if this is a corporation and the corporation declares bankruptcy your employer will still owe you this money personally.

You cannot be compelled to sign any resignation letter. In fact, are you actually resigning? Aren't you being dismissed because the business is closing down?

In any event tell them you are not going to sign anything until you get everything you are owed.

As well, unless the new employer is giving you all of your years of seniority in the employment contract your former employer owes you termination pay.

This is more complicated then you may have thought!

Your next step really should be to consult with an appointment with her face-to-face before you sign anything at all.

Do you see what I mean?

Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago

But let me know if you don't!

retireddebra
retireddebra
retireddebra