Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I was wrongly accused of falsifying medical records at

Customer Question

I was wrongly accused of falsifying medical records at work(specifically accused of billing for clients I did not meet with) by a coworker and my work place has suspended me with pay pending an investigation. What can I expect? I don't understand how they can even warrant this allegation. Are they just trying to force me out? How do they even investigate such a thing?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am sorry for this dilemma. Can you tell me, are you part of a labor union?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am not.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I want to make sure I understand your questions...are you asking if the employer can fire you because of the allegations?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I'm wondering is what the process is at this point. I know that if I am found to be guilty I can be fired. The accusations are actually of a criminal nature too though. I know that I didn't do this, but I don't exactly have faith in my workplace's competence in investigating this as they have bothered to do so without any proof i the first place. I just wanted insight into such an investigation. Will they point blank ask my clients if I have met with them and tell them that such an investigation is ongoing? I'm concerned that if and when I do return to work this puts a damper on my relationship with my clients and we live in a very small town. On top of that I know some of my clients are not happy with our company in general and fear the accuracy of such investigative methods.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

I am going to opt out and allow other experts who may have more experience in this area to field the question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be further assisting you with your post.

Hopefully, the allegations would be thoroughly and fairly investigated. The employer's appointment database should be thoroughly reviewed; the receptionists/secretaries should be questioned as they would be the ones that should have checked the clients in before you met the clients.

If the investigation comes back not favorable, then you may need to retain an Attorney who handles employment issues to assist you in challenging the investigation and fighting to retain your job.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the difficult part is that I meet with with students in schools. There is no receptionist involved.

Thank you for the additional information.

Is there a camera installed in the school that would show that these people did have interactions with you on the dates in question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm honestly not sure. I doubt it though. There are multiple schools across multiple cities and towns involved all in low socioeconomic communities. They can't afford extracurricular activities, much less that level of security.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They could though.

Thank you for the information.

Your better course of action here would be to wait until the investigation is completed. If the investigation is not in your favor, you would need to ask questions about who was interviewed as part of the investigation, what evidence did they review; if there are cameras (most schools now have cameras for security reasons) and if so whether they reviewed the cameras.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you thinking they are just doing this more as a formality because they have to?

I really do not know.