How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19168
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I hold an employee accountable or Losing companies

Customer Question

Can I hold an employee accountable for damaging or Losing companies property?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You can try, but you can not deduct from their pay without a written agreement, signed by the employee, accepting the deduction and agreeing to the repayment.

You can certainly approach the employee, note the damage and your expectation of repayment and ask them to either voluntarily pay or sign a written agreement for a pay deduction each week. If they don't agree to pay, you would then have to sue them in court to obtain a judgment before they would legally be held liable for the amount.