Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

How should I handle a boss who insulted me in a parent

Customer Question

how should I handle a boss who insulted me in a parent meeting. I made a suggestion and she replied no but she went on to say to the parent and committee present that she and I had already had that issue and that it is our issue and that Ms. S doesn't need to bring you into this, you (parent) don't need to concern yourself with that. This is our issue and something that me and Ms. S will resolve later. Am I wrong to feel insulted, threatened about her reporting me to my supervisor since the parent asked for my recommendation. And isn't this a form of intimidation or bully. She did not want the parent to support my request and I knew that so I look over at my supervisor to respond to my suggestion. My supervisor said bluntly "we are not going to do that, we are not." Then she added that we had an issue already about this but we did not. She also volunteered me to perform duties that aren't mines by assisting other teachers to help the parents child. she did this to make the parent of whom I had repoir , to feel that I would be overseeing her child's learning. For each suggestion I made, the boss counter suggested that I model these lessons using creativity and be inventive as I was suggesting to the teachers whom I was recommending.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, unless you have evidence suggesting that the basis for this treatment was your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA use, there isn't any legal steps that you can take to correct the boss's behavior because it is not illegal in employment law.

Your recourse, if any, will lie entirely in any grievance procedures that your employer itself has in place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you are referring to the employer's disciplinary actions, then yes. If the employer has an internal grievance, complaint or disciplinary process, you have to address this issue through that internal program.

Again, the harassment that you speak of (without an allegation of discrimination based on one of the factors I mentioned) is not itself illegal, so no outside agency will handle the matter and it is left to your employer to handle the situation as they see fit.