Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

I have accepted an offer of employment as an Area Project

Customer Question

I have accepted an offer of employment as an Area Project Manager via email contingent provided there client excepts my credentials. They have and scheduled a phone interview with me directly. There is still no guarantee they will then extended me the offer, however I expect they will. I would be paid directly by the engineering company, assuming I was acceptable to there client. Other engineering firms are also proposing candidate for this position, as far as I know I am the only candidate the Engineering Company I am working with is proposing.
I have decided that the position is currently not the right fit for me but am concerned that this late in the selection process they will not have another viable candidate and have jeopardize there ability to do so.
Could I be legally liable for any misrepresentation or damages to the Engineering company if I decline the offer now?
Thank you,
J
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

In a word: No.

Because employment is at will, unless you signed a contract to stay for a specific amount of time, you can still tell them that you've changed your mind. There would have to be something in writing - and employment contracts almost never limit when an employee can quit. It's your right to change jobs or to decline a job if you realize it's not where you want to be. If they sent you anything in writing, read it to see what it says, but you should still be allowed to leave. If there's no writing, they can't make you take the job or pay them to find another candidate. And honestly, if the position isn't the right fit for you, most companies would rather know at this point in the process instead of after you're in a job that makes you miserable.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.