Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was sought out and asked to apply job 5 months about. They

Customer Question
I was sought out and...
I was sought out and asked to apply for a job 5 months about. They wanted me to come within two weeks and I upturned my entire life moving 300 miles to meet this deadline. It was the kind of job I had been looking for at least 1 year. My supervisor- the director of HR began doing some very concerning things which I brought to her attention and then to the president's and compliance officer (financial concerns, gender pay discrimination, and hassling me about several things making it very unpleasant to work there). Within 2.5 weeks of bringing my concerns to the president I wa RIS'd. My former job was posted less than two weeks later, basically the same position in description without managerial duties and dropped in pay grade slightly (20-30k with midpoint of 77k versus 110k). I expressed it felt like retailiation on the day it happened, and I was marched out of the building like a firing- not at all how our RIS usually take place. do I have a case for wrongful termination?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
10/17/2015
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If you signed employment agreement with the employer, you may have a case for wrongful termination if your termination did not comply with the terms of your agreement. However, if you were an employee at will, then unfortunately, your employer can terminate you for any reason or for no reason at all so long as the reason for your termination is not based on any one of the prohibited grounds such as age (40 and over), gender, race, national origin or the like. If you were let go for bringing up issues regarding pay equity, that may not rise to level of discrimination if you were not complaining about your pay per se or advocating for an employee. However, if you were, then you would have a case for retaliation and a case for wrongful termination.

If your former employer has 15/20 employees, you may file discrimination complaint against the company with U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Click on the link below for the complaint process:

http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/howtofile.cfm

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys who handle employment issues to assist you with the case:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for answering your questions.

You are not charged extra fee for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law