Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I own a company with no employees. We are subcontracting a

Customer Question

I own a company with no employees. We are subcontracting a job in another state and have 5 workers. We are getting paid 1 check from the general and paying the workers 1099's. So i have 3 questions. What do i need to get from the contractor showing that he is covering the insurance on everyone? Can i be liable if the workers do not pay their taxes? I I make the workers employees do i have to insure them or can the general still do that?
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not know why it says California. I live in Louisiana. Job is in Mississippi
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.

I own a company with no employees. We are subcontracting a job in another state and have 5 workers. We are getting paid 1 check from the general and paying the workers 1099's. So i have 3 questions. What do i need to get from the contractor showing that he is covering the insurance on everyone?

Response 1: Copy of the insurance policy.

Can i be liable if the workers do not pay their taxes?

Response 2: No.

I I make the workers employees do i have to insure them or can the general still do that?

Response 3: You have to have coverage for your own employees.