P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11181181

Employer giving medical allowance untaxed to certain

Customer Question

Employer giving medical allowance untaxed to certain employees that are not on a different label letter is that legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

Sorry...what do you mean

not on a different label letter

What does that mean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im sorry i meant labor level. my issue is my employer is compensating sales for not electing to take the company insurance--so they are paid an allowance every quarter for the not electing to take the insurance. is this legal? does it leave us open to a discrimination law suit?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

That makes sense.

And I agree it is discrimination...that is, if they are allowing only certain folks to participate and not others, I agree that is a form of discrimination.

However, it is not illegal discrimination.

If the employer is discriminating based on a protected class (rage, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability) that would be illegal discrimination...but what you are describing, if they are not discriminating against a protected class? It would not violate the law

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does this payment qualify to be tax deducted?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

It can be. Federal and state law allow payments to be made to employees if the employees use the money for medical spending, to be tax free.