How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19285
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have recently moved my wife and kids from outside the US.

Customer Question

I have recently moved my wife and kids from outside the US. My wife is having an extreme hard due to culture inability to speak English, loneliness and lack of help with two children 2-year-old and eight-year-old. Things have gotten to point where police
have been called she has nervous break downs. Anyway, my issue is not with my wife. My issue is with my employer I would like to quit and return to United States end of this year. I still need to get unemployment because the only reason I need to come is to
take care of my family . I work in Afghanistan with the United States I know my company will base everything on the resignation letter. My company is based out of Cololordo My contract ends next December. But I need to get home .I should also mention my wife
and daughters green card expires at some point that is something only I can take care though renewing in states again something i need to be home for
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Whether you would be eligible for unemployment benefits if you quit would depend on whether the state's unemployment office would rule that quitting to take care of a spouse who is in medical distress is quitting for good cause. So, you need to make sure to put in your resignation letter that you are being forced to resign to take care of your spouse who is medical distress. I happen to think that this is a good cause for quitting. However, unemployment office may see it differently.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm what kind of response should I put for resignation letter the state and company will base everything on that.Let me give you better idea of whats going on . Could I use these emails as support ? I dont to have my wife seek medical attention because I dont know what that would mean for my kids or her reputation
She email was 2 weeks ago things have calmed down now but they have been known to up again only thing keeping things stable is my promise to be home in december
Samuel,I would like to speak to you not as a customer but as a fellow husband and family man. I am worried about Tippany. In San Juan life is very complicated. Just to do a small thing like finding a school can be like climbing mount Everest as you know. The public transportation is very unreliable and also complicated. When I first met Tippany she was very happy and full of energy, lately she is full of stress and i believe that being in an unfamiliar place is starting to wear her down. If one does not speak Spanish or even English well, they are treated as outsiders here. I have traveled all over the world and lived in different countries in the world and I can say Puerto Rico was the biggest culture shock I have had. I am writing to you not to say anything wrong about the situation just to clarify that Tippany is going through a very hard time. I have been here for two years and me and my wife are still adjusting to island living. Tippany and siya have ALWAYS spoken highly of you. Siya draws pictures of you during the classes and Tippany always constructs sentences with you in them.Tippany is in a very hard spot and she needs all of your patience understanding and support. My assistant has become friends with Tippany and she also expressed strong concerns about Tippanys stress levels. Please feel free to contact me , call twice if there is no answer the first time.Brandon
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I cannot contact you. If you need to speak with an Attorney, you need to make the request through the "Additional Service Offer."

You should not include the e-mail in your response because even if the e-mail is titled "urgent..," there is no medical urgency there. You need to give a reason for your resignation just as I previously stated. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly what to say because that would amount to giving you legal advice, which would be a violation of the site rules and my bar license.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Legal Research on Case Law, Codes, etc. + Write Legal Documents. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello okay I would like to find a Colorado unemployment employment lawyer preferably to assist me in writing this resignation letter and researching the laws so that I could successfully get unemployment given my situation

Related Employment Law Questions