Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

My friend at work recently received days off rumor he heard

Customer Question

my friend at work recently received days off for a rumor he heard (earlier) and repeated in the break room, it was a paid break. I can only assume it was true because of the discipline. The rumor was that the ass. plant manager was having an affair with other female salaried employee, wife found out and said he must quite or find other job which he took an advancement in other state. Is this legal??
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Are you asking whether it was legal to suspend your friend? What exactly are you inquiring about the legality of?

I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
was it legal to suspend him for that reason? thanks

Thank you. While it may have been unfair, it would not typically be illegal to suspend an employee on this basis. This is because employment is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Since employment can be terminated for virtually any reason, even an unfair or untrue reason, the law does not impose any greater limitations on lesser forms of discipline, such as suspensions. Thus, all your friend can do in this circumstance is attempt to reason with their employer.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** know that they can suspend or fire anyone hourly for any reason other than "discrimination and legally protected conduct", sad.

It is quite unfortunate, I wish there were greater protections, but this is the state of the law nonetheless. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.