Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I am being terminated by an insurance company. I am an

Customer Question

I am being terminated by an insurance company. I am an independent contractor. what should I do if I feel I have been treated unfairly ?? they say my sales numbers aren't up to speed ... the VP of the company is an employee and will be calling me today. what should I do or not do??
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If you are an independent contractor, you can legally be terminated at any time, as long as the employer does so in accordance with your IC contract. If that contract does not limit the employer's ability to terminate, then they can terminate 'at will.' There is no requirement for them to be fair in that decision to terminate unless the IC contract specifically states that they have to do so.

Really, the only thing that you can do here is obtain the IC contract and make sure they follow any provisions that it contains about notice periods, progressive discipline or any other features that it contains which give you due process rights. If there are no such rights contained within the agreement, there isn't anything you can do here to stop them from terminating you legally.