How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Employment lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 42862
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having severe problems with my feet after working

Customer Question

hello my name is***** am having severe problems with my feet after working nearly 16 years on concrete floors while wearing steal toed shoes its causing me to walk with a slight limp I have several medical problems also my question is simple at present time I can not afford to quit my job or I would loose my home and vehicle can I still work and file for disability and then quit after my disability starts thank you very much for any help you can give
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.You don't have to be disabled for any length of time before you apply for Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) or SSI disability benefits. You are eligible for SSD or SSI benefits as soon as you stop being able to do substantial work. In most cases, Social Security defines substantial work as making $1,090 per month.

So here you can file for disability here and see if they approve you for benefits.You would argue that because of your ailments that you can no longer do substantial work(your current job).

You would have to quit your job here but you file the next day, no waiting period,But you have to be unemployed here because of your ailments and conditions.


Edward there is some risk here, you would have to quit your job but you can file immediately.If you get to the point where you can no longer work then you will have to quit and file.I know it is frustrating for you and many others.When you can no longer function here you quit and file and likely get benefits.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Again am sorry you are going through all of this.I wish you the best.Thanks again.


Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

Edward thanks again let me know if you have more follow up.It is never a problem.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

Edward if you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.