Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am an employee at a school in Cloquet, Minnesota. I am

Customer Question
frustrated with things being done...
I am an employee at a school in Cloquet, Minnesota. I am frustrated with things being done by our school board members and our district superintendent. How do I go about obtaining a copy of our superintendents contract with our school district? If I ask for it are they legally obligated to provide me with a copy and can they charge me a fee for a copy?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I no longer need to be called for an answer. An answer can be provided here on line. Thank you.
9/27/2015
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

The only way that you can obtain a copy of the Superintendent's contract is by a Court Order. That is, you have to file lawsuit against the school district and ask the Court to order the school district to provide a copy of the contract to you. There is no guarantee that you would prevail—that the Court would rule in your favor. The school district has no legal obligation to provide a copy of the Superintendent contract to an employee of the school district.

Has it always been this way? I thought in past yrs the public was able to get a copy of superintendents contracts. (Short of a court order) When was this changed? And is this standard in all states do you know or is each state different? Is there any law that regulates how long board members and the superintendent can go without negotiating a contract for paraprofessionals in MN? We are into 2 years with no contract. If we were to strike can we lose our jobs?

I cannot answer your question regarding the laws in 50 states in the United States within the confines of this forum. So, I will opt out and give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Best wishes,

Employment Lawyer: JackJD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
JackJD
JackJD, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll try to answer your questions in order.

1. As far as I can tell, Minnesota has never had a law making superintendent contracts available to the public.

2. Yes, all states are different. Most states have a "Freedom of Access Law" which provides procedures for members of the public to access documents held by public entities. They vary a lot as to how broad or narrow they are. If you are interested, you can look at them by googling "Freedom of Access Law [state]".

3. Strikes are permitted in certain circumstances by school employees. The circumstances are listed in 2015 Minnesota Statutes Chapter 179A.18. Briefly, the contract must have expired, there must have been more than 30 days of mediation, and the union must give advance notice of intent to strike. You should go to the statute itself for details. (Just put that heading into a search engine.)
Have I adequately answered your questions, if so, please rate the answer with the buttons below.

Thank you..... I was under the impression this question Was under the $38 charge.
I was prepared to pay the $38. Cannot afford an additional $52 for this. I do thank you and apologize for any misunderstanding.
JackJD
JackJD
JackJD, Lawyer