John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

My son was sent from NJ to NM by the company he is employed

Customer Question

My son was sent from NJ to NM for work by the company he is employed by. He is only 24 and unable to rent a car so they had to have some one over 25 go with him to drive the rental car. He is a mechanical engineer and it was the first time he has ever traveled for company business. He was shocked to discover they only flew him to Dallas and they had to drive 10 hours each way to their destination, and appalled to discover when he got to his destination the company had only rented one room with "one" bed for them to spend two nights in.
Is that against the law?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

It's cheap and quite distasteful on the part of the employer but it is not illegal. There are no laws that cover employee travel accommodations neither in terms of how long you can be required to drive or lodging accommodations.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.