Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Can golden corral fire me a manager to an employee after

Customer Question

can golden corral fire me a manager for talking to an employee after hours and while she was talking she started crying and I gave her a hug and was caught doing so
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, employment in the state of PA is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Therefore, there would be nothing unlawful about terminating an employee based on the incident you describe, even though it was clearly an innocent hug and even though termination under such circumstances is completely unfair. The sole recourse of an employee in this circumstance is to attempt to persuade HR or upper management that termination was an overreaction, or to move on and collect unemployment benefits while looking for a new job.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.