Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I am 55 yro female, I have been an RN 33 yrs. I work medical

Customer Question

i am 55 yro female, I have been an RN 33 yrs. I work for an medical ins company. I have recently suffered debilitating depression, and my anxiety is increasing over the top,to the point where i cant leave the house. I have seen my pcp and he has placed
me on wellbutrin 150mg sr bid. Its only been 2 weeks but i still cant move from my house. I have not worked in 3 weeks because i cant face it. i am frozen. This has never happened to me. I am requesting fmla from my employer to address my health issue. I have
heard info (through the grapevine and not for my best interest)they want to speak to me. Should I be honest, and is it appropriate not to be able to function at the level i need to. Is it appropriate to request 4 weeks off for severe depression and anxiety?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Your employer may wish to discuss with you your plans to return and the basis for your request. They may require more information. They may also want to know if you want your paid vacation given to you while you are gone. These are all legitimate reasons for asking to speak with you, so I would not assume the worst based on their desire to talk with you.

If your PCP agrees that you should be out of work, then yes it is not unreasonable or even uncommon to be off of work for 4 weeks to depression. I have seen periods longer than that.