How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19169
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Currently dealing with threats of physical violence and

Customer Question

Currently dealing with threats of physical violence and recent incidents of employees throwing metal objects at me. HR head asks me "what do you want me to do about it". This has been ongoing for more than 5 years . Frustrated and sad, what do I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, unless you can state to HR that you believe the treatment against you in based on your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA use, there is very little that you can do.

An employer doesn't actually have a legal obligation to deal with these sorts of least, nothing imposed by statute. If it is discrimination like I mentioned, then the employer can face legal action against them by the EEOC or Department of Labor, because there is an ongoing statutory requirement to handle complaints about discrimination.

However, without being able to complain about discrimination of the types I mentioned, the employer is free to handle these matters however they choose. The hope is that the employer would be considered about their legal liability if you were to be hurt (because they would be legally culpable) and, in their own self-interests, they'd take action. Regrettably, employers are not always smart and so they can't be compelled to take action.

All you can do, in terms of a positive right, is to quit and file for unemployment based on the fact that your employer never corrected the situation in the workplace after repeated complaints by you.

Related Employment Law Questions