JackJD
JackJD, Lawyer
Experience:  I've been in practice 30+ years, concentrating on employment law for 15 years. I enjoy helping people.
64048581

I have applied term disability through my employer. I had

Customer Question

I have applied for long term disability through my employer. I had made some minor errors in filling out the medications and doctors' address portions of the application. I had used white out to correct the errors. However, I recently found out that white out should never be used on any legal document, regardless of its nature.
1) Does this apply in my case, even though I had only corrected the information that I input myself?
2) I didn't know that white out should never be used on a legal document at the time of the application, what can I do to rectify my honest mistake of using white out?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JackJD replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll answer your question.

Since you applied for disability through your employer, this application will go to a private insurance company. It will be up to them whether they question the information that was corrected by white-out or not. If they do question it, they will just send to you for further clarification. In either way, your application is in, and will relate back to the date of your original application.

In short, I do not believe that the general rule will have any significant effect in your case.

Have I fully answered your question? If so please rate the answer using the buttons below.