How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 60 year old female and until recently was the chair

Customer Question

I am a 60 year old female and until recently was the chair of a doctoral program at an non profit academic institution. I was told that I was being replaced in my position by a younger male with comparable qualifications to me although I have more experience in the chair position. My employer said I would get a commendation for my performance that this was a political and business decision. Do I have a discrimination case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Honestly, it is difficult to say if it is a gender or age discrimination matter. I suggest, that if you file with the EEOC, they will fully investigate the hiring and firing practices to make a determination as to your situation. Some of the things they will consider is the salary; if this younger male is being given the same salary or is it hire salary, as well as his educational background - and not just his experience as compared to yours.

When looking at an age discrimination, the EEOC will again look at "patterns" of the employer. In other words, does the employer routinely hire younger employees over retaining the older ones?

And the EEOC will also look at any other reason that you have been released from that position.

I suggest you can file a Complaint with the EEOC and have them do an investigation on both the age and gender discrimination.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you