John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

If N EMPLOYEE BROKE THEIR EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT NON COMPETE,

Customer Question

If N EMPLOYEE BROKE THEIR EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT NON COMPETE, DO I HAVE TO PAY THEM ANY VACATION?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

You could do this only if you have a written policy that eliminates the payment of accrued vacation time upon employee breaching the non-compete. If you do not have a policy that restricts payment of accured unpaid vacation upon termination then you will have to pay that; the department will rule against you. hat you have a claim for violation of the non-compete is a separate matter that you would have to pursue in court, and the department has no ability to rule on that.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it's the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.