Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

If N EMPLOYEE BROKE THEIR EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT NON COMPETE,

Customer Question
DO I HAVE TO PAY...
If N EMPLOYEE BROKE THEIR EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT NON COMPETE, DO I HAVE TO PAY THEM ANY VACATION?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
9/17/2015
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

You could do this only if you have a written policy that eliminates the payment of accrued vacation time upon employee breaching the non-compete. If you do not have a policy that restricts payment of accured unpaid vacation upon termination then you will have to pay that; the department will rule against you. hat you have a claim for violation of the non-compete is a separate matter that you would have to pursue in court, and the department has no ability to rule on that.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it's the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Employment Lawyer