Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My wife was off from her job with zero warning has had zero

Customer Question
My wife was laid off...
My wife was laid off from her job with zero warning has had zero communication with her boss in over 7 months she has record of all emails of when she tried to contact her boss. My real question is is it illegal for my wife to use information which could be detrimental or potentially illegal doings of the company to negotiate her severance package?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
9/14/2015
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

She can use the information as she sees fit but she has to be careful not to slip over into the area which could be considered as extortion or blackmail. Essentially that would be where she threatens to reveal illegal acts or embarrassing information unless they provide something to her in exchange for not releasing or using the information.

What she may want to consider is hiring a local lawyer to handle the negotiations and letting them use the information. They are trained in how to do that without crossing the lines and, in addition, nothing they do could be used against her.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer