How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12206
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm an 'at will' employee. I have been demoted with a pay

Customer Question

I'm an 'at will' employee. I have been demoted with a pay cut. My employer is claiming 'performance issues' but has never brought any performance issues to my attention or allowed me the opportunity to discuss or correct. do I have any rights in this situation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Unfortunately, as an at will employee, the employer has the right to do what it did in this situation, just as you have the right to refuse to work for less pay. I'm sorry to say that the employer has no legal obligation to bring performance issues to your attention or give you an opportunity to discuss or correct them. The fact that you are an at will employee means that the employer could have demoted you and decreased your wages for no reason at all.

Accordingly, any recourse you have would be through your employer's own HR department.

I am truly sorry that my answer is bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.