How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am adult care provider in my home.Over the course of last

Customer Question

I am adult foster care provider in my home.Over the course of last 2 years I have had 2 gals come in and help out 8or 9 times I have maybe compensated them maybe 700$ total.they have did tasks such as provide transportation ,caregiving and cleaning.I ask them when they can come in and help,on occasion needed them to bring someone to appointment,or if they would rather stay and caregive.I need to sign a compliance Minnesota comp form,I need to state reason for exemption from comp insurance.1box says I have no employees..another box says have employees but not covered by compensation law...nervous...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer,

I have read your facts, but do not understand what you are asking. Please explain what your question is and I will be glad to Answer your question,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by law in mn am I required to provide workmans compensation insurance coverage to individuals in this circumstance..
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your additional information,

Minnesota has stricter rules than some of our other States regarding Workmen's Compensation insurance. All employers are required by Minnesota Statutes, section 176.181, subdivision 2, to either purchase workers' compensation insurance to provide benefits to their employees for work-related injuries or obtain approval from the Minnesota Department of Commerce permitting self-insurance upon proof of the employer's financial ability to do so. There is no minimum number of employees an employer must have before insurance is required; therefore, an employer with only one part-time employee generally must provide coverage. Several penalties may be assessed against employers that fail to properly ensure their employees.

Please let me know if I have not Answered your question fully, and I will be glad to explain further,

If I have Answered your question, please be kind enough to leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you. Positive Feedback and Bonus are very much appreciated,

Kindest Regards,