Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

If a Jehova Witness forbids doctors to perform a blood

Customer Question

If a Jehova Witness forbids doctors to perform a blood transfusion on a child because of religious reasons, is the doctor allowed to give the transfusion to save a life or must the doctor abide by the parents wishes?
Thank you, Kathy
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

It's not as simple as a yes or no answer. The doctor can't just ignore the parent's wishes. Typically this is resolved through the use of the court and the testimony of the doctors.