How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12500
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was fired from a restaurant ,where he worked as an

Customer Question

my son was fired from a restaurant ,where he worked as an assistant manager, that is run by a franchise owner because he had issue with his manager referring to him as that black dude and then also trying to create a hostile work environment due to her loud actions each day.
does he have any recourse on his end in this situation
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Sorry, I am a little confused by your use of "he" and "him." Are you saying that your son was fired because he complained about his manager calling him "that black dude"? How did the manager create a hostile work environment, and why do you believe your son was fired in retaliation for complaining about that?

I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he objected to being called that black dude and when he defended his position he was told to turn in his keys and if he was back on the property they would call the police. He only objected to the tone and the use of the racial language. when he went to the managers supervisor the supervisor said " I don't care" to him. literally I don't care
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I have my son call you?
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I am unable to accept customer phone calls. I am more than happy to assist you here, though.

If your son can prove that he was fired in retaliation for complaining in good faith about the use of offensive racial language (and referring to someone as "that black dude" could certainly form the basis for a good faith complaint), he has a case for wrongful termination and should immediately contact a local employment attorney to pursue. You can locate local attorneys through this directory:

Lawyers commonly accept cases like this on a pure contingency fee basis. If you don't know, a contingency fee arrangement is one in which the attorney receives a portion of the client's settlement or award as his payment, typically 1/3 of the total amount. If there is no recovery, the attorney does not get paid. The client never pays until the settlement or award is obtained (except perhaps to cover the filing costs for his claim). This would be your son's recourse under the circumstances you describe.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.

Related Employment Law Questions