How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118688
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Who is a lawyer in Kerrville, Texas who can help me. I am an

Customer Question

Who is a lawyer in Kerrville , Texas who can help me . I am an African American and believe I have been demoted to a lower position - from 8 am - to 4 pm to 12 midnight to 8 am . because the employer wanted my position as a director of large charity in the Hill Country .
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the law, employment is considered to be at will, meaning that the employer can demote, hire and fire an at will employee for no reason at all or for any reason at all as long as they are not doing so based only on your race, age, national origin, disability or sex. So in order to have recourse you have to prove that one of those reasons for your demotion, then your first step is filing a complaint with the EEOC, as they have to investigate first to grant you a right to sue letter.

Just because they want to have your position as director of a large charity is not an illegal ground for demotion. If the ground is not an illegal ground for demotion, you could not sue the employer for that demotion I am afraid.

State law and site policy prevents us from making personal attorney referrals, so the best we can do is tell you to get a local attorney after you file your EEOC complaint, at the same sites used by other attorneys, or