Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have worked years with a Singapore based company. It is a

Customer Question
I have worked for 11...
I have worked for 11 years with a Singapore based company. It is a $2 billion annual revenue company. I have been responsible for accounts and revenue of several hundred million in revenue.
I was on salary and commission until the 2008 recession. My salary is about $155k annual, since the commission was removed.
A California small plant is used as my pay and personnel location.
Recently accounts have been moved from me to other parts of the company and some projects have been conpleted leaving me with a light work load.
I received a note today from my boss asking me to submit a letter to personnel asking to retire Feb 1..This seems like 'm being fired. I know my boss wants to keep me
but the execs are bent on cutting and forcing her eliminate my job.
I think I am due some compensation as my work is satisfactory and obviously the company wants to cut out my job and costs.
I don't want to retire on that date. I am 74.
Is there any recourse for compensation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
9/2/2015
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, absent any written contract to the contrary, you are an at will employee. Under the law, an at will employee may be fired for no reason at all or any reason at all as long as it is not based solely on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin and the employee has no legal recourse. Cutting costs, even if that means firing older workers, is not age discrimination, so it is financial basis for termination according to the courts, even if the worker being fired is an older worker.

There is no law providing for severance, but you can ask for a severance and that is up to the discretion of the employer. It is typically 1-2 weeks of pay per year of employment if it is granted.

Legally, what you are entitled to is any retirement plan you may have with the company and to any SS paid. I am afraid that legally that is all they have to provide you and there is no guarantee of employment for an at will employee I am afraid and certainly in today's job market there is no loyalty of an employer to a good employee either sadly.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney