John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I have an LLC in New York. The company currently rents space

Customer Question

I have an LLC in New York. The company currently rents space to holistic health practitioners who can go on line and reserve space for their private clients by the hour. There is not rental agreement. However, we have expanded this service to including
back office support for billing insurance and collection of funds. If I have an acupuncturist and a chiropractor who are using that service, is the agreement just a rental agreement or an independent contracting agreement. i.e. if is an independent contracting
agreement then can they pay a basic rent in addition to administrative fees...or would this still just be a rental agreement? Thank you! Gregory
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

This isn't a independent contractor situation. You are essentially providing space and services to the professionals. IN other words you are not in the same business that they are in. Only if you were going to be providing the same or similar services as the provider would you theoretically call it an independent contractor agreement. So, you could keep this as a rental agreement and the support services to that agreement.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks John!Gregory
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.