Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was terminated from job according to the owner the

Customer Question
production side of the business...
I was terminated from job according to the owner the production side of the business was lacking. I was the production manager for the company and put on 206 roofs in 6 months. The most in our area according to our supplier. I think I was fired to personal reasons because me and the owner was roommates. He left his wife and moved in with me. His wife did not like me because she thought I split them up. He went back to her and everything changed. All the other employees said I was good at what I did. So I think I was wrongfully terminated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
9/2/2015
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Did you have a written employment contract covering a specific period of time and requiring cause for dismissal?

Do you have any reason to believe you were treated differently due to your race, religion, age, gender, etc.?

Also, which state?

Nc

No and No
I think it was personal

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

If you have no written employment agreement then you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you are pretty much subject to the whim of your employer. They can change your schedule, your compensation or even terminate you at any time and for any reason or no reason.

The only limitation is that the employer may not take adverse action against you in violation of your civil rights (unlawful discrimination) or out of sexual harassment.

If you believe your civil rights are being violated you can file a grievance with the EEOC at www.eeoc.gov.

Otherwise, it is really a matter of internal office politics or policy and not something which could be redressed in court.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service to you.

Loren, Lawyer