How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12500
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have worked beauty store 10 months.( No longer working) I

Customer Question

i have worked for Sally beauty store for over 10 months.( No longer working) I was asked to leave because they are doing a turn over. When I asked about my sick leave to be added to my check they denied telling me that I was not entitled to it. every company that I have worked for has given me my sick time and vacation time which I have not used. My sick time is printed on my pay check. what are the laws to this. the company is in Texas and I live in NC. Can you help me or point me in the direction that I need to go in.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

In NC, an employer is not required to pay an employee for their accrued sick days unless they have a policy which expressly so requires. An employer may adopt a policy to deny payment of accrued vacation, but in the absence of such an express policy, accrued vacation must be paid.

Therefore, your first step here is to determine what your employee handbook and/or contract says. If you can make the argument that they require payment of vacation and/or sick leave, then your best course of action is to file a wage claim with the NC Department of Labor. See here to initiate that process:

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.