Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

Can I be forced to work consecutive 10 ht days and then be

Customer Question

Can I be forced to work consecutive 10 ht days and then be forced to work 12 WITH ONE 1 with one half hour lunch
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

California is more generous to its employees than the federal laws and than most other states.

The law on rest breaks is:

If you work at least 3.5 hours in a day, you are entitled to a rest break and you're entitled to at least ten minutes for every 4 hours of work.

The law on meal breaks is:

If you work over 5 hours in a day, you are entitled to at least 30 minutes for a meal break. This meal break acnnot be waived by the employee if you work more than 6 hours.

If you work over 10 hours in a day, you are entitled to a second meal break of at least 30 minutes. This break cannot be waived by the employee if you work for 12 or more hours.