John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I was demoted 8 months ago without a salary reduction, is a

Customer Question

I was demoted 8 months ago without a salary reduction, is a salary reduction at this point legal, presumabley to force me to quit?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today

Salary reductions are legal in the sense that if your employer reduces your pay and you continue to work, then you are considered to have accepted that offer and to be working under those terms. However, under the eyes of the unemployment laws you can quit for reason of a cut in pay of approximately 20 % and you would be considered to have quit for good cause attributable to the employer and qualified for unemployment compensation. That is the only remedy available to you however.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you needclarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will behappy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If youare otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My salary has not been reduced YET. The demotion came 8 months ago and I think they just want me to quit. If offered a reduction in salary what are my options?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

You can accept it and keep working, counter-offer and see if they accept your counter, or quit with cause and collect unemployment.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.