Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

I owe 2000.00 personal loan and have to go to small claims

Customer Question

I owe for a 2000.00 personal loan and have to go to small claims court on Sept. I already pay a settlement company 380.00 a month to settle my debts but they couldn't handle this one. Now I am scared out of my mind they will garnish my wages unless I file
bankruptcy according to this attorney who sent me this letter. I don't want to file bankruptcy again how do I get around wage garnishment. I get a bonus from my job in Oct. I could pay it all off in full then. Can u help me.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. This is a tough issue that really only has two directions or ways of approach. You can sign promissory note with the company to pay back the amount wtih interest. The second approach would be to take out a loan, if possible, and pay the loan back with your bonus. The second approach could possibly be handled by using your bonus as collateral if you can get your employer to sign off on a document recognizing your bonus or likely bonus.

Outside of those options, the only other mechanism is bankruptcy, which I advise against. It would be better to have wages garnished. They can only garnish a percentage of your check, not the entire check.

Best wishes!

Best wishes!

Best wishes!

Just checking in on you to see if you had any additional questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks