How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5614
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm in a union out of Miami we pay in $ 4.11 an hour into

Customer Question

I'm in a union out of Miami we pay in $ 4.11 an hour into our pension I'm working in Minnesota where they are paying $ 10.74 an hour my local decided to make an reciprocal agreement without asking us or voting on it an they are only paying in the $ 4.11 an keeping the rest an not giving it to us an they say the rest goes in a slush fund is this legal
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Because you are in a union, the union acts as your agent in all negotiations etc. They are free to enter agreement on yours and the other bargaining unit members behalf and do not have to get your consent to make such deals. If you are getting the wage & benefits agreed to in the primary contract, there is no violation of the law. The part that is potentially troubling about this matter is that the funds go into a slush fund. Without further expectation, it has potential for abuse because it should generally go into the union's general fund. It is potentially a LMRA violation but you'd have to essentially show the union agents were misusing the funds - for example to go on vacation.

Related Employment Law Questions