John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I'm in a union out of Miami we pay in $ 4.11 an hour into

Customer Question

I'm in a union out of Miami we pay in $ 4.11 an hour into our pension I'm working in Minnesota where they are paying $ 10.74 an hour my local decided to make an reciprocal agreement without asking us or voting on it an they are only paying in the $ 4.11 an keeping the rest an not giving it to us an they say the rest goes in a slush fund is this legal
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Because you are in a union, the union acts as your agent in all negotiations etc. They are free to enter agreement on yours and the other bargaining unit members behalf and do not have to get your consent to make such deals. If you are getting the wage & benefits agreed to in the primary contract, there is no violation of the law. The part that is potentially troubling about this matter is that the funds go into a slush fund. Without further expectation, it has potential for abuse because it should generally go into the union's general fund. It is potentially a LMRA violation but you'd have to essentially show the union agents were misusing the funds - for example to go on vacation.