How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 8184
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was ready to start work on Monday but the boss called me

Customer Question

I was ready to start work on Monday but the boss called me and said a girl from my old office said things to a girls who works at this new office and they have decided not to hire me. I took an apartment and am a single mother what do I do now. Lydia karis 419-(###) ###-####send message
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. I am very sorry this happened to you. Do you have any idea what specifically this girl at your former office said about you? Was it true?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No idea and there is no documentation other than I did not give 2 week notice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No sure that you can even help me so is it even worth signing up for this
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Employment is at will absent an agreement to the contrary, which means you can be fired at any time (including before you start) without regard to what is fair or true. So, you would not typically have any legal remedy against the employer in this circumstance. That said, if you could prove that someone from your old job made a false statement of fact about you and that caused you to lose this new position, you could pursue a defamation lawsuit against them and recover the wages you lost as a result of this offer being rescinded. That would typically be your sole recourse under the circumstances you describe. You would need to retain a local defamation attorney to pursue such a claim.
I hope this answers your question. If I can be of any further service to you just let me know.