How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 117368
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Bahamian who has two 14 year olds who were supposed

Customer Question

I am a Bahamian who has two 14 year olds who were supposed to come to Florida to live with my sister who was a Permanent Resident, and their guardian on record since 2001. She died the week before our arrival time. I have enrolled them in schools here in Florida where they were born, but now have to remain here as their main caregiver since my nephew is 32 and I do not believe ready to be a full time guardian. What do I have to do to apply for employment status in Florida as their caregiver?? I have sole custody of the twins and their fathers permission for them to be here. Should I be applying for a paralegal position first then have the employer apply for a work permit or what?? I am currently here on a tourist B-2 visa an can stay until January 23rd or so before the 6 month privilege expires. Your advice is urgently needed so I can determine what to do about seeking gainful employment.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also need to know implications of applications to Immigration dept. .. would I have to leave the country after application made? ... if so, about how long is the process because the twins want to return home to the Bahamas for Christmas break and I would like to travel with them?? Any ideas how much or if there is a charge for my self application to Immigration Dept.??
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order to get a visa to remain in the US, you are going to have to go out and actually seek an employer to hire you. The only way to get a work visa, H1B, is to have an employer willing to sponsor you to work here in the US. You cannot really represent yourself, you are going to need to get an employer to file the immigration documents stating that you will be working for them as their employee.
Unfortunately, other than obtaining employment in the US, you would not be able to gain immigration status in the US. You can get a local immigration attorney, which you would need, if you want to seek status for some other reason, such as being a victim of domestic violence or crime in your country, which is a ground to get immigration visa status into the US, but if you do not have that type of claim, I am afraid you have to continue leaving the US and returning on your tourist visas when eligible.

Related Employment Law Questions