Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

If I give two weeks notice can my employer terminate me and

Customer Question

If I give two weeks notice can my employer terminate me and refuse to pay me the two weeks of pay?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the question. Yes, unless you and your employer have written contract that requires 2 weeks notice then, because Texas is an employment "at will" state, either party can terminate the employment relationship with no notice or warning and for any reason. Because of that and wage laws, an employer may accept a reisgnation effective immediately and must only pay the employee for hours actually worked.

Please feel free to ask for clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.

Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 17th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.