RESPONDER9
RESPONDER9, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with more than 20 years of expertise.
71277549

Is it legal to get red on a federal job and get paid only

Customer Question

Is it legal to get hired on a federal job and get paid only $12 an hour instead of Davis Bacon! Also is it legal to get hired as employees when we all filled out w-2 forms and receives 2 paychecks that had our taxes pulled out like they should and did, then all the sudden we get paid a 3rd check and no taxes were pulled out. When we asked about it they said we are now private consultants! Can they do that without asking us. None of us signed anything saying we wanted to or knew anything about this coming up or going to happen to us it just happened with out our knowledge. Then they said they would pay us one dollar more if we wanted to stay consultants. We said no, of course not. Our boss said he would change us back from consultants to employees and give us extra hours that we could put on our time sheet to make up for the taxes that wasn't takin out in that last check, except now that tax money for hours is being taxed along with our next pay check, and that is not correct either...., But when we received our 3 consultant check we were. He said sorry, and desided to give us a second check for all the taxes that should have been takin out. But we are saying this is rotten all the way around cause now if we needed to we can't even get on unemployment if need be. Please help advise us or me
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RESPONDER9 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am sorry to see you are experiencing this. Davis-Bacon Act and Related Act contractors and subcontractors must pay their laborers and mechanics employed under the contract no less than the locally prevailing wages and fringe benefits for corresponding work on similar projects in the area. Based upon what you told me. this employer practice appears illegal and you may complain via a phone call to your local office of the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor. Please rate me well after reading this or the service will not pay me for my work. Thank you and good luck.

You've had some time to review my answer, and I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question and keeps your payment unless you request a refund because the website charged you the full value of your question at the time an answer was provided. Thanks.