Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can I legally tell my boss I'm uncomfortable with the level

Customer Question
of anger/intimidation, and leave the...
can I legally tell my boss I'm uncomfortable with the level of anger/intimidation, and leave the situation, without repercussion, ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
8/13/2015
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
It is highly unfortunate, but no law prohibits an employer from being rude, disrespectful or downright nasty toward their employees. "Hostile" behavior only becomes actionable if it relates to a legally protected trait, such as race, religion or gender, in which case it becomes a civil rights issue (i.e. yelling racial slurs at an employee or sexually propositioning them).
If you are not experiencing harassment of the actionable variety, the law does not protect your efforts to object to it. Since employment is "At will" absent an express agreement to the contrary, this means that you could lawfully be disciplined or even terminated because you confront your boss about their behavior, act in a manner perceived to be "insubordinate," or "leave" a situation in which your boss is acting inappropriately. It is highly unfair, but the law does not compel fairness in employment and ultimately it is up to the employer whether they want to continue employing you.
I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Hello again,
I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.
Very best wishes.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer