Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can someone be fired Court ordered to wear a SCRAM Bracelet

Customer Question
Can someone be fired for...
Can someone be fired for being Court ordered to wear a SCRAM Bracelet in California? This is a continuous alcohol monitoring device worn on the ankle of the user. Person only has to wear bracelet for 3 months. Statutory citation if possible. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
8/12/2015
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, unless you are an employee under some contract (union or other written employment contract), employment in CA is at will. There are no statutes in CA that prohibit an employer from terminating an at will employee for any reason at all or no reason at all except based solely on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee. Thus, the employer could choose to terminate an employee over the scram bracelet and the employee's only recourse is filing for unemployment, since the termination would not be directly related to workplace misconduct.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney