Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I was fired on Friday,August 7th 2015. The old owner sold

Customer Question

I was fired on Friday,August 7th 2015. The old owner sold the business,New owner took over on August 6th 2015. I did not get the opportunity to even work with nee owner. I had exactly 2 conversations with her. One in person for 5 minutes. And the other over the phone. She has no idea how I work. But I know she did not like me
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information, can you tell me what your legal question is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did she have recourse to fire me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know where I stand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I want to know. For 5 years I have been the supervisor and ran the school
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had not even had the opportunity to work with her

Hello again and that you for the question. New Jersey, like most states, is an employment "at will" state. That means that employers may terminate an employee for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning unless the termination violates a written contract or is motivated by discriminatory intent or bias because the employee is a member of a protected class. So unless your situation falls within one of the exceptions I mentioned, then although the termination might be unfair and arbitrary, it would not e illegal.

If you do believe your situation falls within one of those exceptions, then you should sit down with a local employment law attorney and discuss the details of your case. You will also, of course, qualify for UI benefits if you need to file a claim since you were terminated without cause.

Please let me know if you need any clarification.

Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 11th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.