Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

The company I work saying they have the right to know my

Customer Question
the company I work for...
the company I work for is saying they have the right to know my medical records because DOT said they can is this true
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
8/7/2015
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Are you in a position of driving for them? What is the situation?
I work for greyhound me not feeling good has nothing to do with driving.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, you are in a public safety position as a driver and as such the employer has a legal right under DOT rules to insist on proof you are in sufficient health to safely drive your vehicle. Not merely you telling them that, but actual proof that you have no health condition that can render you unfit to drive. Because of the safety to the public concerns, DOT allows the employer this intrusion into their employee's medical conditions.
even if the doctor tell them there is nothing that can stop me from driving and I am not on any meds
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, they are entitled to a medical report as they can have it reviewed by their own Medical Review Officer. They have a duty to the safety of the passengers, so this is why they are given this added authority over employees and right to demand the employees provide their medical records as necessary.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney