How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20401
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a transgender(m to f), I started my transition about 3

Customer Question

Hi, I am a transgender(m to f), I started my transition about 3 yrs ago.
And I have 2 jobs to make the ends meet.
The incident happened at my secondary job.
It is a gas station that I work part time(1~2 times/week).
I put up make-up when I am working there from time time.
One day, I was told not to wear any make-up by owners(husband and wife)
due to the fact that it might make some customers not to come to the store and a couple of customers were complaining about my gender identity.
I am just in shock and don't know how to handle the situation....
please let me know how to handle this incident.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information and your question. Although I can't tell you how to handle the situation, since that depends on all the circumstances and what your goal is, I can tell you what your rights are. Washington State prohibits discrimination based on gender identity. As long as the employer has at least 8 employees, they are covered by the civil rights laws. So, you can either choose to try to speak to the employer about your concerns. Or, if you don't believe that will result in a positive result, then you can file a complaint with the Washington Human Rights Commission, again assuming there are at least 8 employees. Also, of course, you can also consult with a local employment law attorney, however, you will need to be prepared to pay legal fees in that case.
Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed.