John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I have a question. How do lawyers typically get paid on a

Customer Question

I have a question. How do lawyers typically get paid on a SHort Term Disability appeal? Are they contingent fees?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

Typically yes it is contingent fee. They'll generally charge 25% to 40% contingency, for pay due at time of the decision on appeal and some amount of pay owed into the future. The percentage and how far into the future such percentage would be collected really depend on the difficulty of the case, and how far into the appeal they have to go...theoretically these could be appealed up to the court of appeals, which would be years of work. There is sometimes, however, the ability for a plaintiff to collect all or part of their fee from the defendant if the lawyer can prove bad faith.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.