Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I do private duty elderly woman who lives with her husband.

Customer Question

I do private duty for an elderly woman who lives with her husband. I was hired to work 7-3 am for $15 an hour to make sure she don't fall. Since I have been hired we now drive her, and her husband to all appointments. He can no longer drive. We are washing, cleaning, filling meds, and so on. We have not had a meeting since we been there. Her daughter handles our pay checks, and schedule. We were getting paid on Monday. Then without notice it changed, after 1 1/2 year, that we get our check on Monday, dated for Tuesday. For the past two weeks, we been getting our check on Tuesday now. I asked her for a letter saying our pay date changed from Monday to Tuesday to give to my car company. Her daughter refused to give me the letter. So, I told her from now on I will only be doing what I was hired to do. Make sure her mom don't fall. What are my legal rights?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, do you have a formal documented set of duties for what you are hired to do? How long ago was pay changed?