Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I am being let go by my employer, but they haven't contacted

Customer Question

I am being let go by my employer, but they haven't contacted me directly. I know because a part owner sent me the confidential information that I'm not supposed to see. This happened on Monday, and I don't agree with the severance they are going to offer me. I guess my last day is Friday but I haven't received any information. I'm worried about continuing benefits and if I can ask them to let me stay on another month, Need advise, please.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear about your job loss.
I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract for "just cause" (as opposed to “at will" employment which is the default employment condition)? Do you think they have an ulterior motive in terminating you, perhaps your age, race, gender, disability or religious beliefs?