How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5615
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work Valley Schools Transportation Department in

Customer Question

I work for Huron Valley Schools Transportation Department in Milford Michigan as a special needs bus driver, the routes I drive have children that require a trained Attendant. My Wife works for Huron Valley Schools Transportation Department as a trained bus Attendant. We have worked on the same route since before we got married. we worked last year on the same route as a married couple with no problems. Now the HR. Department is saying we can not work together because if some thing happened we could not testify in court. There have been other married couples in the past that have worked on the same route together and there never was a issue and they were never told that they could not work together. there is nothing in our contract and nothing in the school policy that states we can not work on the same bus or on the same bus route because we are married. We bid on routes just before the beginning of the school year and are allowed to pick routes by seniority bidding we have been able to pick the same ones due to were we are in the seniority list. every one else is allowed to work with whoever they want with not restrictions. can they restrict us from working together.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.
Are you in a union, and if so, have you filed a grievance with the union over this. Generally these types of policies are at management discretion, but you have a seniority list already in place per collective bargaining. A grievance through your union contract would generally be your only recourse; ending in binding arbitration.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.