How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work county government in Washington State. In my

Customer Question

I work for a county government in Washington State. In my capacity with the county, I provide review appraisal services for real estate acquisitions. Over the past several years, I had been working toward a professional designation, the MAI, from the Appraisal Institute. As part of my annual performance review, I was evaluated on my progress toward that goal. In two successive years (2012 and 2013), my performance reviews stated that I was expected to accomplish certain goals toward the designation.
In September of 2014, I received the MAI designation.
Upon receiving the designation, I was informed by my supervisor, that the county would not pay for the professional association dues and fees because the MAI was not a requirement of my position as defined by the official HR classification specification.
According to HR guidelines, a performance planning document should have been filled out by the supervisor and signed by mutual agreement for the professional development program leading to the designation, but it was not.
Additionally, the county has used my services in ways that were previously only undertaken by outside contractors with the MAI designation. For instance, I have been included as an expert witness for an upcoming condemnation trial, but had never been called on in this capacity prior to receiving the designation.
Do I have any recourse to seek from the county support for the professional fees and dues for the MAI designation. I feel as though the county is receives the entirety of the benefit of the designation without commensurate support for the dues, which now run about $1,500 per year. Thanks for your assistance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.Unfortunately, the answer is no. The Employer has no legal obligation to pay for your fees. You can deduct them from your IRS return, however and I suggest you consult with your tax preparer when that time comes.As to using you as an "expert" witness based on your advanced credentials, if that was not a part of your job description and they are only now using you in this capactity based on those credentials, then I suggest you can try to negotiate an additional payment for your time in these matters or some sort of increase in salary based on the advanced credentials.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you