How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 30337
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went inot my former place of employment and the doors were

Customer Question

I went inot my former place of employment and the doors were open, and took non copy written consent forms to use as a template. I was caught on camera, and now the manager wants to press charges,what will happen to me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
First, if it hasn't happened already, you will most likely be terminated.
You may be charged with trespassing if you were there after hours or in a place you aren't allowed to be. Trespassing is a misdemeanor.
Consent forms themselves have no value, and theft charges are typically based on the value of the items in question. They could still press petty theft charges, which is a misdemeanor. However, if you do not have a criminal record, chances are that you could plea bargain down to just a trespassing or disorderly conduct charges.
Once you know what the charges are, if anything, you'll be able to better evaluate whether you want to pay a lawyer to try to have them reduced. You should get a notice in the mail with a court date and the numbers of the statutes they're accusing you of violating. When you go to the court date, the judge will explain the charges, you can plead not guilty, and that gives you time to negotiate with the DA. Most people plead not guilty at the initial appearance. If you prefer, you can ask what the DA is offering as a punishment if you plead guilty right away. Based on what you've said, it's not likely that you would go to jail. You're probably looking at a fine and possibly some community service, depending on the final charges and if you can get them reduced.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.