TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Oregon law question: I was hired by an employer and not given

Customer Question

Oregon law question: I was hired by an employer and not given my salary amount until an employment letter was given to me to sign. The amount was less than we had discussed as the salary range. I signed the letter, expecting that I could prove myself within a short amount of time to get paid the fair market value for my employment. I was then given a $1.00 per hour raise after 6 months, which was still under the amount we had discussed for my salary range. Now, I am given a raise to what another employee doing less of job than I am doing, as I am supporting two people, and she one person, but given the hourly wage of what she is making, after 15 months of employment. The employer now wants me to sign a wage review stating I will not be considered for another wage review for at least 24 months. If I don't sign the letter, will I still get the raise? The letter does not correctly reflect what has occurred as I have been asking for the raise since November 2014 and it states "Your recently made a new request for a review of your current salary. What can I do?
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a confidential inquiry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do not publish this question or answer.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. It sounds like your employer is not acting in good faith. I would not want to work for an employer who has not paid what you originally agreed upon. I would also not want to work for an employer who pays a different employee with fewer responsibilities more money. Having said that, if you agreed to continue working there for the salary that they are giving you, then prior agreements don't really matter. In this situation, if your employer refuses to give you a raise and you continue working, then that is tacit consent to the current salary. There would be no legal reason that the employer would be required to give you more money. Also, if you do not sign the letter, I would be concerned as to whether you will be terminated. You may want to ask what happens if you do not sign. Please let me know if you need clarification.